On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 10:51 AM, 'Nick (Cloud Platform Support)' via
Google App Engine <google-appengine@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Hey Sam,
>
> Thanks for your patience. I can now report based on my investigation of
> the matter:
>
> 1. There aren't any guarantees for time synchronization for App Engine,
> and this is reflected in the material in the docs. In general, there should
> only be a few milliseconds of drift at the most, but this is just an
> estimate and should not be taken as a guarantee, which isn't given.
>
> 2. Like all of Google's infrastructure, the instances will be kept in sync
> with one another. The Google-internal NTP is called the TrueTime API and is
> described in a blog post and an article: [1]
> <https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/time-technology-and-leaping-seconds.html>
>  [2] <http://www.wired.com/2012/11/google-spanner-time/>. Tolerances
> information is not available for this system, but suffice to say it works
> well enough for all our purposes.
>
> 3. Google syncs time with Mountain View, which is is essentially the US
> Pacific time zone.
>
> As far as documentation is concerned, I don't think there is anything we
> could add right now since there are no guarantees or tolerances.
>
> If you have a specific use case that absolutely must use a highly-accurate
> standard of time, creating a Compute Engine instance / cluster to handle
> this task in a centralized manner is probably the best option. Few
> applications have need of such accuracy, though,

Sorry to interject, but this may not be necessarily the case for
applications dealing with SEC-regulated fintech -- I recommend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Fx9fZqoo4 (bias warning: I'm an ACM
member and this excellent talk has as its core motivation that of
convincing viewers to join the ACM!-).

TL;DR: the SEC, NYSE, IEX, and other exchanges, are fiercely fighting over
proposed regulations regarding millisecond (and FRACTIONS thereof!)
synchronization of security trades -- see e.g
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-25/iex-foes-allies-unite-on-one-point-a-millisecond-really-counts
.  The ACM talk takes no position on the market politics of the issue
(neither the speaker nor the intended audience are qualified professionally
to speak to it, after all), but tears into the technical difficulties in
ANY distributed system to achieve sub-millisecond synchronization (in
securely auditable ways, as any SEC regulation would of course require).

App Engine -- as you correctly note, Nick -- cannot offer any guarantees in
the matter; one would have to roll their own, just as on any other
distributed system (if one's subject to potential future SEC regulations
for fintech -- I cannot think of any other field in which this would
matter, though I encourage everybody to watch the ACM video anyway and
decide for themselves if THEIR applications might be impacted). I'm chiming
in only to point out that, fintech being hardly a tiny niche, the problem
should not be minimized. A Feature Request for better on-demand time sync
might be warranted... even though the ACM video strongly suggests it is
simply unfeasible to comply with such tight constraints (in ANY distributed
system, including on-premises data centers).

Alex

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/CAE46Be_8M%3DHHzSx4g9eErzuy-a8OCE9nTEBJZVCWN0UZY9UneQ%40mail.gmail.com.