While I can appreciate the desire to accelerate response times for one's
application, 2 milliseconds is hardly enough time for an HTTP request to
hit the Google Front End, traverse the internal network infrastructure, GAE
front end, GAE load balancer, an instance of your application, be responded
to and have the HTTP response head back to the requester.

25-33ms response time is very appropriate for any managed server executing
an empty PHP script.  If you really need to cut that down further, you may
be able to reduce to this somewhat using a compiled language like Golang
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/go/> or Java
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/java/> and also ensuring the
instances are ready to serve prior to receiving requests.  Though published
in 2013, this talk <https://talks.golang.org/2013/highperf.slide#1> about
golang shows how Go on App Engine really shines for performance critical
applications.

Please note that an empty PHP script is not a very effective benchmark for
evaluating performance.  The class of the instance will not affect the
performance with such a use case.  I would strongly suggest defining
specific tasks that need to be performed by your application handling an
HTTP request, implementing them in a few runtimes, testing locally and then
testing on the platform.  This may provide more useful insight.

If you don't mind me asking, what requires your application to have 2ms
response time or what service boasts such a response time?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/460c0565-b3db-411d-b7d9-5013da8fd2f4%40googlegroups.com.