Given that I have:

   1. A custom domain name - example.com
   2. An App Engine service named "abc"
   3. A SAN certificate for the domains example.com, abc.example.com and
   www.example.com

How do I setup my custom domain such that accessing https://abc.example.com
routes to the App Engine service "abc"?

I have no issues with setting up example.com and www.example.com to route
traffic to the default service. HTTP requests to example.com and
www.example.com correctly redirect to https://www.example.com (and this
continues to be the case for all of the below configurations). A/AAAA
records omitted for brevity.

I understand that the following settings have to be configured:

   1. Google Cloud Console -> App Engine -> Settings -> Custom Domain
   ("Custom Domain Settings")
   2. Google Cloud Console -> App Engine -> Settings -> SSL Certificates
   ("SSL Certificates Settings")
   3. My DNS nameserver ("DNS Configuration")

I have tried the following configurations.

*Wildcard Domain*

*Custom Domain Settings*

   - *.example.com

*SSL Certificates Settings*

   - SSL enabled for example.com and www.example.com
   - No option to enable SSL for *.example.com or abc.example.com

*DNS Configuration*

Tried all of the following configurations:

   - CNAME - *.example.com to ghs.googlehosted.com. ONLY
   - CNAME - abc.example.com to ghs.googlehosted.com. ONLY
   - OTH of the above CNAME records

*Results*

Does not work. It appears that App Engine is not presenting the certificate
for abc.example.com.

Chrome: ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED
Firefox: Secure Connection Failed

My guess is that this configuration would work if I had a wildcard
certificate for example.com.

*Custom Subdomain*

*Custom Domain Settings*

   - abc.example.com

*SSL Certificates Settings*

   - SSL enabled for example.com, www.example.com and abc.example.com

*DNS Configuration*

   - CNAME - abc.example.com to ghs.googlehosted.com.

*Results*

Does not work as expected. App Engine routes traffic to the default service.

*Wildcard Domain/Custom Subdomain Mix*

*Configuration #1*

*Custom Domain Settings*

   - *.example.com
   - abc.example.com

*SSL Certificates Settings*

   - SSL enabled for example.com, www.example.com and abc.example.com

*DNS Configuration*

   - CNAME - abc.example.com to ghs.googlehosted.com.

*Results*

App Engine routes traffic to the default service.

*Configuration #2*

*Custom Domain Settings*

   - *.example.com

*SSL Certificates Settings*

   - SSL enabled for example.com and www.example.com
   - No option to enable SSL for abc.example.com

*DNS Configuration*

   - CNAME - abc.example.com to ghs.googlehosted.com.

*Results*

Does not work. App Engine does not present SSL certificate for
abc.example.com.

Chrome: ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED
Firefox: Secure Connection Failed

*Configuration #3*

*Custom Domain Settings*

   - *.example.com
   - * abc.example.com

*SSL Certificates Settings*

   - SSL enabled for example.com, www.example.com and abc.example.com

*DNS Configuration*

Tried all of the following configurations:

   - CNAME - abc.example.com to ghs.googlehosted.com. ONLY
   - CNAME - *.example.com to ghs.googlehosted.com. ONLY
   - BOTH of the above CNAME records

*Results*

App Engine routes traffic to the default service.

As an aside, tried posting to serverfault.com, post was rejected for
looking too much like spam.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/40674c4e-1f99-45e0-990b-9d01cd27c54e%40googlegroups.com.