A 'streaming API' implies, you open a long running socket connection, and
events are streamed when available.

... this doesnt seem a good fit AppEngine as such. Its a 'request/response'
basis. So the thread is torn down (the request is over) before any data
received.

The Dev server may be less strict about imposing this, and will hold the
process open.

Traditionally Backends might of worked
https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/python/backends/

Now a manual scaling instance, would give similar functionality
https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/python/an-overview-of-app-engine
.. the instance can remain in memory. (although I dont know it the socket
API supports long running connections.

https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/python/sockets/
does mention unused connections may die after 2 minutes of inactivity.

(guessing, but maybe the 'Tweepy Library' will need patching to use the
Sockets API directly, rather than native python sockets)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/CAJCAUuJa_mEKpDMLERqn4aBgJOR2%2By9jKL4z3XTbnufhsjNOCA%40mail.gmail.com.