Your response suggests that we should not be seeing high instance startup
times (since the idle resident instance should turn into a dynamic instance
to handle new requests). But that isn't quite what we are seeing - we are
seeing high latencies coinciding with instance startups. Why would that
make sense?

Thanks,
Vidya

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 1:24:04 PM UTC-7, Jordan (Cloud Platform
Support) wrote:

> Idle Resident Instances are instances waiting with your application code
> pre-loaded and warmed up, but never actually accept requests. When an Idle
> Resident instance is needed by your application due to high traffic or CPU
> intensive operations, your Resident instance will turn into a Dynamic
> instance and start accepting new requests.
>
> Once you have your new Dynamic instance handling your incoming requests,
> App Engine will create a new Resident instance in order to maintain your
> 'Minimum Idle Instances' setting in your 'appengine-web.xml
> <https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/java/config/appref#scaling_elements>'
>
> or 'app.yaml
> <https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/python/config/appref#scaling_elements>'.
>
> The Dynamic instances will then turn down when there is a period of no
> traffic, in order to save you money.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/5cb933da-687b-4fd8-8059-d50d8d3c696b%40googlegroups.com.
  • [google-appengine]... Shashikanth Reddy
    • [google-appen... 'Jordan (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
      • [google-a... Vidya Narayanan
        • [goog... 'Jordan (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
          • R... Vidya
            • ... Jeff Schnitzer
              • ... Nick
                • ... Vidya