retrying https://pypi.python.org/pypi/retrying/1.3.3 provides decorators
for different type of backoff retry scenarios.

However I would look at you data model to see why you  have such contention
and what changes you could make to minimise this.

If you can't may also want to consider using a pull queue and use tasks to
process the transactions

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/5e3ac51f-f964-45dd-8477-a795a4e5c640%40googlegroups.com.