The 'App Engine Connected Endpoints Project' contains App Engine and
Endpoints code, but no GWT code. The 'Web Application Project' contains GWT
and App Engine code, but no Endpoints code.

Since you'd end up needing to mash together projects anyway, perhaps a
better solution would be to create a new project from the
'hello-endpoints-archetype' or 'endpoints-skeleton-archetype' Maven
archetypes
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/java/tools/maven#choosing_an_archetype>

(which are more up to date than the plugin project templates) and manually
import the code into your existing project.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/36c13216-2242-48c9-ade9-0c0d5a4ae18c%40googlegroups.com.