I'm a first time user for Google Cloud.   I'm a software developer
investigating the use of Google Cloud for a customer.  I'm trying to figure
out how much different stuff costs before committing to a design.  Frankly
the free tier got me interested in using Google Cloud.  Customer will be
starting small, but wants the flexibility to grow in the future.

I built a simple test app using the instructions for the Bookshelf Tutorial
App at https://cloud.google.com/nodejs/tutorials .   I did this two or
three days ago.  I've probably had ten hits/ submissions to the site.
 Nothing fancy.

What I'm trying to understand is pricing.  As I look at my billing
summaries (Google Cloud Platform --> Billing --> Transactions --> Detailed
Transactions View) , I see the biggest charge by far is  "*App Engine Flex
Instance Core Hours.*"  That had me wondering.  I doubt if I used the site
for more than 20 minutes total.

Next step is to go to Google Cloud Platform --> Dashboard --> App Engine
--> Go to App Engine Dashboard. When I get there, I see a graph.  Select
All Versions, Instances and then an appropriate time interval... in my
case, lets use seven days.  Yup, I see a baseline of 2 instances, with a
short pop up to four (which corresponds to my testing the site...) .

But what's up with those two instances at idle? Seems expensive for doing
nothing.  I would have thought there should be zero instances at idle.  Or
am I just doing this wrong?

Many thanks.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/7c23a6cf-f2f3-456c-9a70-9d3b88fb3637%40googlegroups.com.