The appcfg client cannot be used anymore because it use a username/password
authentication, which has been deprecated in favor of oauth2 (and not
supported by the client itself).
About 1 year ago I had a very very long ticket with google support (issue
number #08922843) where we analyzed all this situation, here a couple of
comments:

We ended up writing a very simple remote API handler (both server and
client) in order to reproduce the same need as you.
You need to deploy online a version with remote_api enabled and the write a
simple client which will download the data (for all the kinds you need)
from online and load it inside the local dev-server

In my case the client was written in Java, but because the remote_api
exists in python I'm very confident that you can build a client of your own.
The main thing to take care is (this example is for java language, i think
a python counterpart exists as well)
if ( ... remote api connected to development server ...) {
    options.useDevelopmentServerCredential();
} else {
    options.useApplicationDefaultCredential();
}

When you need to connect with the online environment, the
application-default is used which need to be configured using GCloud SDK

https://cloud.google.com/sdk/gcloud/reference/beta/auth/application-default/login

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/eb89bebe-305b-4f04-a600-69d59e234a7b%40googlegroups.com.