I'm struggling with the create_message_with_attachment (the rest works,
create_message_without_attachment works ).

I did read google documentation. The stack thread talking about it focus on
complicate point (while mixing up the different python version). Posting
this in stack will be down-voted as duplicated (stack has its limit).

The script bellow only create an email attach a file to it and send it
(well, it's suppose to do so)

This script return:
  encoders.encode_base64(part)
NameError: name 'encoders' is not defined

import httplib2
import os
import oauth2client
from oauth2client import client, tools
import base64
from email.mime.multipart import MIMEMultipart
from email.mime.text import MIMEText
from email.mime.base import MIMEBase
from apiclient import errors, discovery

SCOPES = 'https://www.googleapis.com/auth/gmail.send'
CLIENT_SECRET_FILE = 'client_secret.json'
APPLICATION_NAME = 'Gmail API Python Send Email'

def get_credentials():
 home_dir = os.path.expanduser('~')
 credential_dir = os.path.join(home_dir, '.credentials')
 if not os.path.exists(credential_dir):
 os.makedirs(credential_dir)  #create folder if doesnt exist
 credential_path = os.path.join(credential_dir,
'gmail-python-email-send.json')
 store = oauth2client.file.Storage(credential_path)
 credentials = store.get()
 if not credentials or credentials.invalid:
 flow = client.flow_from_clientsecrets(CLIENT_SECRET_FILE, SCOPES)
 flow.user_agent = APPLICATION_NAME
 credentials = tools.run_flow(flow, store)
 print('Storing credentials to ' + credential_path)

 return credentials

def SendMessage(sender, to, subject, msgHtml, msgPlain):
 credentials = get_credentials()
 http = httplib2.Http()
 http = credentials.authorize(http)
 service = discovery.build('gmail', 'v1', http=http)

 # #without attachment
 # message_without_attachment = create_message_without_attachment(sender,
to, subject, msgHtml, msgPlain)
 # SendMessageInternal(service, "me", message_without_attachment)

 # #with attachement
 message_with_attach = create_message_with_attachment(sender, to, subject,
msgHtml, msgPlain)
 SendMessageInternal(service, "me", message_with_attach)

def SendMessageInternal(service, user_id, message):
 try:
 message = (service.users().messages().send(userId=user_id, body=message).
execute())  ####need  to get user_id before

 message_ID = message['id']
 print(f'Message Id: {message_ID}')
 return [message, message_ID] #return value as list
 except errors.HttpError as error:
 print(f'An error occurred: {error}')

def create_message_without_attachment (sender, to, subject, msgHtml,
msgPlain):
 msg = MIMEMultipart('alternative')
 msg['Subject'] = subject
 msg['From'] = sender
 msg['To'] = to
 msg.attach(MIMEText(msgPlain, 'plain'))
 msg.attach(MIMEText(msgHtml, 'html'))

 raw = base64.urlsafe_b64encode(msg.as_bytes())
 raw = raw.decode()
 body = {'raw': raw}
 return body

def create_message_with_attachment(sender, to, subject, msgHtml, msgPlain):
 msg = MIMEMultipart('alternative')
 msg['To'] = to
 msg['From'] = sender
 msg['Subject'] = subject
 msg.attach(MIMEText(msgPlain, 'plain'))
 msg.attach(MIMEText(msgHtml, 'html'))

 # the problem comes from this part
 part = MIMEBase('application', "octet-stream")
 part.set_payload( open(r"C:\Users\xx\Desktop\test_Attachment.txt","rb").
read() )
 encoders.encode_base64(part)
 part.add_header('Content-Disposition', 'attachment; filename="{0}"'.format(
os.path.basename(f)))
 msg.attach(part)

 raw = base64.urlsafe_b64encode(msg.as_bytes())
 raw = raw.decode()
 body = {'raw': raw}
 return body

def main():
 to = "yourem...@gmail.com"
 sender = "myem...@gmail.com"
 subject = "subject test1"
 msgPlain = "Hi\nPlain Email"
 message_text= "this is message text"
 SendMessage(sender, to, subject, msgHtml, msgPlain)

if __name__ == '__main__':
 main()

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/f5e41361-c3e8-4cd2-9cb6-fe1a95928790%40googlegroups.com.