Files uploaded with an App Engine application cannot be downloaded,
uploaded or modified via FTP.  One of the reasons for this is that they may
not all reside in one place given App Engine's scalable design.  To perform
some tasks like deleting static resources, adding them or modifying them,
here are your choices:

Deleting static resources

   - Download the the completing application service/module to your local
   machine using the *download_app* command Alex described above
   - Delete the resources locally, making sure to update all references to
   them in your *app.yaml* and HTML files
   - Deploy your application service/module again, now without the
   resources you deleted

Adding static resources

   - Download service as above
   - Add new static resources, adding references to them in *app.yaml* and
   HTML files
   - Deploy again as above

Modifying static resources

   - Download service as above
   - Modify resources, updating references to them in *app.yaml* and HTML
   files
   - Deploy again as above

I have this information is helpful.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/fc2263ab-b490-4e40-b16c-b2fcba431ef6%40googlegroups.com.