Your path of least resistance is to use Maven (as opposed to Gradle or
Ant/Ivy). If you’re working in Java, you definitely want an IDE - Eclipse
and IntelliJ both have their following. I think most people will be happier
with IntelliJ but you have to pay for it.

There are two viable maven plugins right now:

com.google.appengine:appengine-maven-plugin is the older and more mature
plugin
com.google.cloud.tools:appengine-maven-plugin is the newer and not yet
perfect plugin

I would say we are on the cusp of the newer plugin being ready for default
use. It currently has trouble deploying the queue/cron configs, but it
looks like it’s getting fixed fast. I actually have both enabled in my
project right now.

You also have the choice of “older vs newer” plugin for Eclipse/IntelliJ. I
would go with the newer one.

Someone else will have to give you endpoints advice.

Jeff

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 2:16 AM, Þórir Gunnarsson <
thorirgunnars...@goodlifeme.com> wrote:

> Lately I have been getting some mixed signals about what should be the
> configuration for a java based App Engine standard backend using endpoints.
> What I'm looking for is guidelines from Google or the group what would be
> best practices. The recommended configuration should be production ready
> and support local development and debugging.
>
> As I see it there are several options (please add if I'm missing some
> options)
>   - Environment
>     - Maven
>     - Eclipse
>     - Maven project in Eclipse
>     - Maven project in IntelliJ
>
>   - Build plugin (assuming Maven is the way to go)
>      - com.google.cloud.tools -> appengine-maven-plugin
>      - com.google.appengine -> appengine-maven-plugin
>      - com.google.appengine -> gcloud-maven-plugin
>
>   - Endpoints
>      - Endpoints v1
>      - Endpoints v2
>
> Some reference material:
> https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java/
> https://cloud.google.com/endpoints/docs/frameworks/
> java/quickstart-frameworks-java
> https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/java-docs-
> samples/tree/master/appengine/endpoints-frameworks-v2
> https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/java-docs-
> samples/tree/master/appengine/helloworld
> https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/java-docs-
> samples/blob/master/appengine/helloworld-new-plugins

> msgid/google-appengine/cd6225e2-e09b-454d-8ca3-
> c83faa4f377d%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/cd6225e2-e09b-454d-8ca3-c83faa4f377d%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/CADK-0uhT1fx5G%2BM4m2UCBX1kNoNQD4qvq5z2-32%2B9%3DzfE5CJqA%40mail.gmail.com.
  • [google-appengine] R... Þórir Gunnarsson
    • Re: [google-app... Jeff Schnitzer
      • Re: [google... Þórir Gunnarsson
        • Re: [go... Jeff Schnitzer
          • Re:... Þórir Gunnarsson
            • ... 'Adam (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine