One more point pointing in this direction is continous integration or lack
of support for it. They have removed support for Push-to-deploy (been 2
years now I think). I couldn't even find documentation related to wiring up
App Engine with Jenkins while there is ample documentation for Google
Container Engine.

If Container Engine/Kubernetes is the future, they should come out and say
so.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/41de0f0f-d090-432a-9cca-107be2f838f0%40googlegroups.com.