For Django you should not need to set SQLALCHEMY_DATABASE_URI in app.yaml.
This is just used in the Python Google Cloud SQL on Flask code sampl
<https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/python-docs-samples/tree/master/appengine/flexible/cloudsql>e

to set that environment variable that the sample code uses when deployed.
The app.yaml in the Django code sample
<https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/python-docs-samples/blob/master/appengine/flexible/django_cloudsql/app.yaml>

does not set this environment variable.

I'd recommend following the Django on Flex
<https://cloud.google.com/python/django/flexible-environment> tutorial
end-to-end and see what happens. You'll be able to see if the CloudSQL
connection works properly by going to the admin part of the deployed web
app at [YOUR_PROJECT_ID].appspot.com/admin, logging in with the superuser
you define, and adding a question or two.

Good luck, and let us me know if you have any more issues!

Best,
Ryan Matsumoto
Developer Programs Engineer, Google Cloud (Python)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/72c666af-3dd2-4f1b-a99c-21cd4cc6dc9f%40googlegroups.com.