Thank you. That's useful.

On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 9:48 PM, 'Adam (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google
App Engine <google-appengine@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> To answer your questions:
>
>    - Is it recommended over the other one?
>
>    It's actually recommended to use the App Engine standalone SDK based
>    plugin for now, due to some issues
>    <https://b.corp.google.com/issues/36589995> with the development
>    server in the Cloud SDK.
>

>    - See also the related discussion
>    <https://groups.google.com/d/topic/google-appengine/5MbPJK-TXAY/discussion>
>    for more details.
>
>    - What is the relation to appcfg? Is it simply that appcfg is a
>    component of the Cloud-SDK (where the Cloud-SDK consists of gcloud and
>    related CLI tools)?
>
>    The Cloud SDK based plugin doesn't have any dependency on appcfg. It
>    uses the gcloud command from the Cloud SDK to manage operations (eg. gcloud
>    app <https://cloud.google.com/sdk/gcloud/reference/app> deploy). It
>    still invokes dev_appserver, but this is a newer version (v2) than the
>    one included in the standalone SDK (v1) and currently has some issues as
>    mentioned above.
>
>    - Will an upcoming version depend on the Google App Engine SDK for
>    Java?
>
>    No, as the point of the plugin is to move away from the standalone SDK
>    and support the Cloud SDK.
>
>    - I see that Google Cloud Tools for Eclipse interacts well with Maven,
>    so that Maven can handle dependency management, goals etc. Does the Google
>    Cloud Tools for Eclipse bundle/use the com.google.cloud.tools::
>    appengine-maven-plugin?
>
>    When you create a project using the template 'Maven-based Google App
>    Engine Standard Java Project', it will create a Maven project using the
>    appengine-standard-archetype archetype that uses the
>    com.google.cloud.tools::appengine-maven-plugin. This is just a UX
>    convenience for creating a regular Maven project that uses that same
>    archetype.

What is the status of Google Cloud Tools for Eclipse? On the one hand, it
 is recommended on the Google Group thread
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-appengine/5MbPJK-TXAY/discussion>;
but on the other hand, it it is designed to work with the  Cloud-SDK Based
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java/tools/using-maven> Maven
plugin which is not now recommended.

> On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 9:30:39 AM UTC-4, Joshua Fox wrote:
>>
>> What is the difference between these  two Maven plugins?
>>

>> - Based on the Google App Engine SDK for Java
>> <https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java/tools/maven>
>>
>>    - com.google.*appengine*::appengine:appengine-maven-plugin
>>    - Older
>>

>> - Cloud-SDK Based
>> <https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java/tools/using-maven>
>>
>>    - com.google.*cloud.tools:*:appengine-maven-plugin
>>    - Newer
>>    - Is it recommended over the other one?
>>    - What is the relation to *appcfg*? Is it  simply that appcfg is a
>>    component of the Cloud-SDK (where the Cloud-SDK consists of *gcloud *and
>>    related CLI tools)
>>    - Will an upcoming version depend on the Google AppEngine SDK for
>>    Java?
>>    - I see that Google Cloud Tools for Eclipse
>>    <https://cloud.google.com/eclipse/docs/>   interacts well with Maven
>>    <https://cloud.google.com/eclipse/docs/creating-new-webapp>, so that
>>    Maven can handle dependency management, goals etc. Does the Google Cloud
>>    Tools for Eclipse bundle/use the
>>    - com.google.*cloud.tools:*:appengine-maven-plugin?
>>
>> --
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine.
> msgid/google-appengine/48be9f57-91ae-44ab-a47e-
> f8e325e20ba8%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/48be9f57-91ae-44ab-a47e-f8e325e20ba8%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

*JOSHUA FOX*
Principal Software Architect | Freightos

☏* (Israel): *+972-545691165 | ☏* (US)*:  +1-3123400953* | Skype*:
joshuafox.freightos
Smoother shipping with the world's online freight marketplace.
Online Marketplace
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.freightos.com%2Fcompare-book-manage-freight-quotes%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzfMkBQBWsovNlg47sIDORa5FpHDkQ>
 / In the News
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.freightos.com%2Fabout-us%2Fin-the-news%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzexnYSKKYuEW4zuC-QrR4X8G53w6Q>