I can't tell you how valuable the Launcher is.  I want to write code -- I
don't want to get entwined in the tortured world of devops scripting.  Yes,
understand Google wants us to use Cloud SDK, but the Launcher is such a
great front door to get in.  If you didn't have Launcher I'd change to
Heroku and never again think about App Engine again or tell my friends how
good it is/was.

@Justin: please keep supporting (unofficially, of course) your GUI.  Maybe
Google will make it official.

Meanwhile, a discussion on Stack Overflow pointed to this link where the
original App Engine Launcher can still be downloaded:

https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python/download#appengine_sdk

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38982261/has-the-google-app-engine-launcher-for-mac-osx-been-deprecated

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/bbb22cd1-bda2-40a9-87d9-8b34fe8c4a4c%40googlegroups.com.