Hello, i would like to deploy an application based on
https://github.com/pydanny/cookiecutter-django project template.

cookiecutter-django based project use environment variables to define
various configurations, following the pattern based on
https://12factor.net/config

http://cookiecutter-django.readthedocs.io/en/latest/settings.html

I would like to versioning app.yaml file in a public git repository,
however, there is some information that I can not let public.

Is there any way to set environment variables for an app engine application
without explicitly setting the values of those variables in app.yaml?

Heroku-cli gives me a simple way (see below) for defining environment
variables. Does Google App Engine have any similar functionality?

# display the config vars for an app
heroku config --app myapp

# display a config value for an app
heroku config:get KEY --app myapp

# set one or more config vars
heroku config:set --app myapp

# unset one or more config vars
heroku config:unset --app myapp

with https://github.com/xavdid/heroku-config plugin

# Writes the contents of heroku config into a local file
heroku config:pull --app myapp

# Writes the contents of a local file into heroku config
heroku config:push --app myapp

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/1ce3c801-e026-4bf7-b888-a98eb1da17a7%40googlegroups.com.