I would like to connect to a microservice running on kubernetes cluster
from my appengine application, while avoiding the need to transit the
public internet. Since flex runs my appengine application as a cluster in
GCE it seems like this should be possible?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/eb002bc3-a383-4fdb-8a7a-937feb5b1cbd%40googlegroups.com.