This thread highlights one of my main complains with Google's Cloud
Platform: no roadmap! (at least not one they care to share with customers).

The "everything is beta" environment might just be tolerable if there was a
roadmap.

As far as the Flex environment goes... you should think of it this way:
it's a compute engine instance.  You can only do things in Flex that you
can do in Compute Engine.  Google has written bridge libraries for many of
the things in the Standard Environment (e.g. Datastore, Cloud SQL) but has
left many things unsupported... Search API is one of those things.  I
wouldn't hold your breath.  Deprecation of the Compat image is further
proof that they've really given up on trying to bridge compute and
appengine standard.  Perhaps the new focus is containers.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/899e17ee-dc74-4971-a391-e40b926a00c6%40googlegroups.com.