When extracting the  appengine-api-stubs-1.9.42.jar I could see that there
is a  org/hsqldb/DatabaseURL.class. I suspect that this class does not have
the
parseURL method, which causes the error. I don't know why the applications
is using this class instead of the DatabaseURL class from the org.hsql
dependency, even though I added runtime scope on the dependency.

I also tried using the Maven shade plugin:
<plugin>

            <artifactId>maven-shade-plugin</artifactId>

            <version>2.4.3</version>

            <executions>

                <execution>

                    <phase>package</phase>

                    <goals>

                        <goal>shade</goal>

                    </goals>

                    <configuration>

                        <filters>

                            <filter>

                                <artifact>
com.google.appengine:appengine-api-stubs</artifact>

                                <excludes>

                                    <exclude>org/hsqldb/DatabaseURL.class</
exclude>

                                </excludes>