I am trying to configure App Engine Flexible to talk to Container Engine.

It appears that App Engine Flexible is just a container engine that is
deployed with some automatic features. And by default, it uses network
"default"

For container engine, it is also deployed with in network "default".

And I followed the instruction from
https://cloud.google.com/container-engine/docs/internal-load-balancing to
configure an internal load balancing ip for the kubernete cluster.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_Qk4fAPy3Hs/WaTg3eVy2wI/AAAAAAAAHxg/xyJkjX9laVojuM3z7T9MZ-dWvFCFQDGUwCLcBGAs/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2017-08-28%2Bat%2B7.27.42%2BPM.png>

I then checked my appengine instance IP through SSH. The IPs are obviously
in the same subnet but I am still unable to access it. However, using
external IP is totally fine.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tLVLmm0Zhdw/WaThH7OYPnI/AAAAAAAAHxk/XIDQh8loYkwkYYWE3_aDZyj2c-qX2RSiwCLcBGAs/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2017-08-28%2Bat%2B7.30.05%2BPM.png>

According to: https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/vpc/

A VPC network is a virtual version of the traditional physical networks
that exist within and between physical data centers. A VPC network provides
connectivity for your Compute Engine virtual machine (VM) instances,
Container Engine containers, App Engine Flex services, and other
network-related resources.

So I assume this should work? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks
in advance!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/bc3058f7-1cc3-4955-8dec-4d0c6313a427%40googlegroups.com.