As I read the release notes, it occurred to me that this is definitely only
a display bug.

https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python/release-notes

When 1.9.55 was released last month I swapped json for ujson and
re-deployed, so the instance cannot be running either of the reported
versions. (For some reason I missed the connection back then.) I
double-checked in Stackdriver Debug that it's actually ujson.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/d1d9b84c-3f74-48e7-8a4f-ed03610e3503%40googlegroups.com.