It does not depend on number of users. It depends on the load on the
instances. If the load is high enough new instances will be spawned. So if
4 instances have to be spawned, you will see 4 hours in one hour. It also
depends on instance class. Instance F4 is counted as 4 times of F1. Hope
this helps.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/162b646a-0719-4166-baf7-8a0ace49c60d%40googlegroups.com.