It appears that AppEngine was choking on this http-header defined in
appengine-web.xml:
<http-header name="X-XSS-Protection" value="1" />

When I removed that, deployment succeeded. When I replaced the value with
"1; mode=block", deployment succeeded. It doesn't appear to be the header
name that causes the problem, as defining either of these headers in
appengine-web.xml causes deployment to fail:
<http-header name="pork-chop" value="1" />
<http-header name="pork-chop" value="2" />

But deployment still succeeds with either of these headers defined:
<http-header name="pork-chop" value="a" />
<http-header name="pork-chop" value="0" />

I've got no idea what is behind these errors, so I'm just noting the
details here in case others run into the same problem.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/efe7e3d7-9921-417a-9905-b19915e88a91%40googlegroups.com.