On Sunday, 5 November 2017 05:11:43 UTC+11, Ani Hatzis wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> $75 per week sounds a lot for a non-used tutorial app, that normally
> should stay below the free tier. Maybe there is more than one app running
> since you played with the tutorials. One other explanation would be that
> you have chosen an expensive instance class (e.g. F4, F4G1),

I didnt choose an instance class. How do I do this? Isn't that more
something you do in the compute engine? Not the app engine?

I have recently tried to specify resources, e.g. only 1 instance, minimal
ram, etc. but I dont did this after I found out my costs were unusually high

> or that there are too many idle instances running, or forgotten cron-jobs,
> etc. Best approach is to study all the expenses for the billing account
> where the costs were charged and identify the big hitters.

How do I find idle instances? I found some older instances of apps were
running so I deleted them. I think that is what you are referring to. IS
this normal?

> In order to see your detailed expenses in Google Cloud Platform:
>
>    1. Go to Google Cloud Console > Billing
>    <https://console.cloud.google.com/billing/>
>    2. Click on each billing account (probably you only have one listed
>    for all your projects)
>    3. On the left navigation under Billing, click on *Transactions*
>    4. You will see a list of transactions. Make sure that above the
>    table, you have selected:
>       1. Detailed transaction view
>       2. All transactions
>       3. All time
>    5. Each costs item will show you which project has consumed a certain
>    service or resource, the quantity (in hours, counts etc.), and the cost in
>    USD
>    6. Some lines will show payments (I assume, the free 300$ credit
>    should appear as the last item at the bottom of the page)

Yea this is where I found out I was paying 50$ for resources. Although I
dont find the descriptions to be very helpful, which is why I came here
looking for help.

> More information here: View Your Cost and Payment History
> <https://cloud.google.com/billing/docs/how-to/view-history>.
>
> Most tutorials in the documentation of Google Cloud Platform also include
> how to delete the training assets after the tutorial is completed, so no
> more costs will occur.
>
> However, if you do not want to delete a Google App Engine app, you have
> two options to save costs (at least for not running the app instances):
>
>    - Disable the app until you want to work again with the app. The app
>    will stop serving requests, until re-enabled. Data and state of the app
>    will be kept, but may result in costs (e.g. size of datastore).
>    1. In Cloud Console for the project that has the GAE app, go to App
>       Engine > Settings
>       <https://console.cloud.google.com/appengine/settings>
>       2. Click on *Disable application* button
>       3. Enter the appp ID and confirm the action
>    - Apply a daily billing limit for the app. Once the daily spending
>    limit is reached, the app will stop working, any further requests will be
>    responded with server errors.
>       1. In Cloud Console for the project that has the GAE app, go to App
>       Engine > Settings
>       <https://console.cloud.google.com/appengine/settings>
>       2. Click on the Edit button above
>       3. Enter a USD value (e.g. 1) into the input field *Daily spending*
>       4. Click on Save
>
> Both options relate to GAE costs (typically instance hours, some traffic,
> datastore ops), but other costs may incur, let's say, you have created the
> app with a Cloud SQL instance, significant Datastore or Storage size. Just
> check the Transactions page to see which costs were actually charged. The
> documentation provide lots of information on billing, as well as pricing,
> quotas, and free tiers for each product.

Yes, I also have a cloud SQL instance. But it is literally just 1 database
with 3 tables, each with about 4-5 fields (these are from tutorials). So
it's realistically a tiny database. but i still got charged 15$ for using
that. What I would like is a breakdown of where my money went, because all
I know is that I lost 15$ to CloudSQL but have no idea why.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/39b16c97-fbed-4710-89b9-2270d2d0c8ea%40googlegroups.com.