On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 2:34:02 PM UTC-4, Takashi Matsuo (Google)
wrote:

> There are two extensions for using memcached; `memcache` and `memcached`
> extensions. Yeah it's confusing, but in short, the `memcache` is an old
> one, and not actively maintained. On our runtime, we only provide
> `memcached` extension for PHP 7.0.x and PHP 7.1.x. So if you have a plan to
> migrate to PHP 7, I recommend that you look into `memcached` extension,
> instead of `memcache`.
>
> Of course you can do:
>
> ```
> $ composer require 'ext-memcached:*'
> ```
> To enable the extension on our runtime.

This confuses me a little. You say the flex environment provides the
memcached extension, yet I also have to include it in my composer. If I
don't require it in composer (so it installs into the vendor directory), is
the Memcached extension just not available to my application? Would the
symptom of that be a very long delay in the code execution requesting the
module?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/8f1922b3-78dc-4590-bdc0-900c0dfeecbe%40googlegroups.com.