Thanks George,

Before upgrade PHP 7.2, to use the latest version of PHP in GAE using like
this.GAE Flexible environment Codeigniter worked fine.

"require": {
 "php": "7.1.*"
 },

Now it using PHP 7.2 by default.

To use a particular web framework, just add it to composer.json:

{
    "require": {
        "codeigniter/codeigniter": " ^3.1.6"
    }
}
I got issues. So I tried like this composer.json, I updated version php
>=7.2.0

{
"description": "The CodeIgniter framework",
"name": "codeigniter/framework",
"type": "project",
"homepage": "https://codeigniter.com";,
"license": "MIT",
"support": {
"forum": "http://forum.codeigniter.com/";,
"wiki": "https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter/wiki";,
"slack": "https://codeigniterchat.slack.com";,
"source": "https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter";
},
"require": {
"php": ">=7.2.0"
},
"suggest": {
"paragonie/random_compat": "Provides better randomness in PHP 5.x"
},
"require-dev": {
"mikey179/vfsStream": "1.1.*",
"phpunit/phpunit": "4.* || 5.*"
}
}

Now CodeIgniter builds successfully in GAE flexible environment.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/dcbb50e7-e503-40ad-8e95-6c8036ca6f26%40googlegroups.com.