On
https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2017/09/introducing-managed-SSL-for-Google-App-Engine.html

it says that

 "Once the domain is mapped and your DNS records are up to date, you’ll see
the SSL certificate appear in the domains list. And that’s it."

My domain has been mapped (domain is working fine) and the DNS records are
up to date but I don't see the SSL certificate and the the use of https://
is not working either.

Has anybody else had this issue? How long does it typically take (I am
thinking perhaps it takes a couple of days to be effective) ?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/e16f50f1-b32d-4040-b20e-00ace3593b3a%40googlegroups.com.