Hello George,

is it still necessary to *create/deploy/enable* an app in order to use a
new datastore? To validate, I have created a new (empty) project
<https://console.cloud.google.com/datastore/entities/query?project=active-campus-198818>.

In Cloud Console under *Cloud Datastore > Entities* , after selecting a
Datastore region, I was able to create an entity. I also could read this
entity via REST API (API Explorer for projects.lookup
<https://cloud.google.com/datastore/docs/reference/data/rest/v1/projects/lookup>).

I didn't create an app. And there is also no hint or warning in Console
that prompts me to create an app. Under *App Engine > Dashboard* I'm
offered the "Your first app" flow.

Maybe the quote relates to features that are not (or were not) available
without an app. Not sure, if composite index could be managed through the
API or gcloud or by other means than deploying the index.yaml (or
equivalent). And the old import & export worked only with an App Engine app
while the new one doesn't seem to use the task queues and app instances.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/edb130d5-2a87-4de5-8bab-e9a6466b63c3%40googlegroups.com.