So our firm is a SaaS provider with a client facing web app. We are
currently trying to move away from a Laravel Monolithic setup into a more
event-driven microservices architecture to help us with scalability and
ease of development.

Ideally, we wanted to use Serverless Cloud functions as much as possible.

After looking into various system layouts, I have created 3 different
architecture layouts of how I can potentially model this system.

They all use App Engine as a central endpoint. I wanted this to simplify
contact with the client, and also as a way to mitigate the cold start issue
of Cloud Functions and be able to handle long running processes/cron jobs.

I was also very interested in using GraphQL to communicate between client
and web server. I was especially excited about GraphQL subscriptions as a
method to provide realtime updates to clients. However, it seems like App
Engine does not easily support websockets. However, it seems like app
engine recently began to support Server Side Events, and there is a GQL SSE
transport package
<https://github.com/CodeCommission/subscriptions-transport-sse>. So, i was
thinking of utilizing this to support GraphQL.

Anyways, I was just hoping to get some feedback from anyone who had a
similar setup with App Engine, or if anyone has any experience with
Event-Driven Architectures. Please let me know if you think this will be a
strong architecture, or if there are any major holes I am missing.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/9f2a2ff6-592e-4c42-b876-c02eee4b3d80%40googlegroups.com.