Hello Vianney,

Checking your requirements, generally both can be achieved on either Google
Compute Engine, or App Engine with the exception of sending emails per this
example
<https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/tutorials/sending-mail/using-sendgrid>.
You may check this document <https://cloud.google.com/php/docs/> for
examples using PHP on both platforms.

In a nutshell, you can use Compute Engine for everything, but you would
have to manage the (virtual) infrastructure yourself. For example, you can
install a LAMP server per this community tutorial.
<https://cloud.google.com/community/tutorials/setting-up-lamp> On the other
hand, you may use both (GAE and GCE) at the same time (maybe less
infrastructure management). For example, you may use Google App Engine for
your PHP application while you can use a GCE instance for sending emails,
and another instance (GCE or Cloud SQL
<https://cloud.google.com/sql/docs/mysql/>) for your MySQL database.

If you decide to use Google App engine for your PHP application, you would
have to choose between standard or flexible environment per this document
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/php/> (check the differences
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/the-appengine-environments>). Note
that per your requirements I found that in standard environment cURL
extension is subject to quota and restrictions per this document
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/php/runtime#dynamically_loadable_extensions>,

and in flexible environment MySQLi extension uses mysqlnd per this document
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/flexible/php/runtime>.
Furthermore, I found this stackoverflow
<https://cloud.google.com/sql/docs/mysql/> discussion that can be useful if
setting up MySQLi with CloudSQL in app engine.

That said, you have many options to deploy your web application, and going
through the (hands-on) tutorials may help you decide.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/8da13850-bb68-4237-9baf-f61e6e64a706%40googlegroups.com.