I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you here. Below is a direct
copy and paste from the page

https://cloud.google.com/sdk/gcloud/reference/app/deploy

To deploy an App Engine Standard Java service, run:

  $ gcloud app deploy
<https://cloud.google.com/sdk/gcloud/reference/app/deploy>
~/my_app/WEB-INF/appengine-web.xml

That very clearly refers to Java and not to Python. It tells us to use
"gcloud app deploy" to deploy a Java App Engine sevice to the App Engine
Standard environment.
On the other hand, the page

https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java/tools/migrating-from-appcfg-to-gcloud

says

Currently, the gcloud command-line tool does not deploy Java applications
to production App Engine

I would much appreciate it if you could acknowledge that these two
statements are in contradiction to each other.

Sincerely,
Thomas Becker

On Saturday, June 16, 2018 at 1:29:30 PM UTC-6, George (Cloud Platform
Support) wrote:

> Hello Thomas,
>
> There is no contradiction between the two pages you link to, as one page
> refers to Python apps, the other to Java.
>
> Your request to not change the default values of options refers to gloud
> app deploy, a deployment command that is specifically described in
> documentation as not supported for Java. Your success in using it might be
> of limited scope, as the same command might not work for another Java
> application. It is better to follow documentation and deploy Java apps as
> recommended, namely with Cloud SDK-based Maven, Gradle, Eclipse, or
> IntelliJ plugins.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/1ac8b754-1b30-40af-8868-b04470300195%40googlegroups.com.
  • [google-appengine... 'Kenworth (Google Cloud Platform)' via Google App Engine
    • [google-appe... Thomas Becker
      • [google-... Thomas Becker
        • [goo... 'George (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
          • ... Thomas Becker
            • ... 'George (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
              • ... Thomas Becker
                • ... Brian de Alwis
                • ... Thomas Becker
                • ... ABR Arun
                • ... Attila-Mihaly Balazs
                • ... 'Dan S (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine