As per [1] the app.yaml should be like this:

runtime: python27
api_version: 1
threadsafe: true

handlers:
- url: /
  static_files: www/index.html
  upload: www/index.html

  static_files: www/\1
  upload: www/(.*)

Moreover, it is important to keep the folder hierarchy as recommended in
the documentation, all folders below the 'www' folder.

[1]
https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python/getting-started/hosting-a-static-website

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/CANnDdRKL2VOXSoaJ8k39jOh2kZ7EeAbR2JfCgyL1jFksKvRQiA%40mail.gmail.com.