Hi,

We're having some trouble working with the Python API to index documents
into the Search in App Engine.

According to the doc here
https://cloud.google.com/appengine/training/fts_intro/lesson2
we have to do it like shown below

from google.appengine.api import search
index = search.Index(name='productsearch1')

The problem is the google.appengine.api package does not exist...
(ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'google.appengine'). SO, ther eis
obviously a missing dependency. After a few minutes of Googling, we found this
library <https://github.com/optimizely/python-appengine> which looks
unofficial and does not seem supported anymore (last commit from Jan 2015).

Then, that one
https://developers.google.com/api-client-library/python/reference/pydoc
which does not have any AppEngine API.

After more digging, we found this
https://googlecloudplatform.github.io/google-cloud-python/
Surprisingly, there is nothing about App Engine nor Search...

With all these resources, we were not able to follow the example shown on
the AppEngine Search documentation. Moreover the doc page mentioned above
(with code samples) is from 2012...

Thus the questions below.

   - How can we move forward on this and index our documents in Search
   using Python?

   - Additionally, is there any refactoring going on with the various (too
   many) Python APIs? This is VERY confusing.

   - Is there any search related products in the pipe? Surprisingly the
   Search in AppEngine looks like the only option as a managed search product
   and does not seem central in the offering... (🤔 odd for a Search company
   like Google) whereas there are other competitors on the market (AWS
   CloudSearch, SwifType, Algolia, Elastic Cloud...)

Thanks in advance for your help, greatly appreciated!
Raphael

--

Raphaël Antonmattei
VP of Engineering