Before we dig deeper into this issue of multiple instances being created on
GAE:Flex. I would like to clarify what exactly you are trying to do.
Specifically when you mentioned you are “using eclipse marketplace” to
install new software on the GAE:Flex environment.

Would it possible for you provide more information on this process? Also,
is there any documentation or guides that you are following concerning
this? I am unsure how Eclipse: Marketplace can spin up instances on GAE as
it would instead create instances directly in Compute Engine.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/e5b64931-186c-475d-858a-d2827b251608%40googlegroups.com.