google.appengine.api.app_identity.app_identity.get_default_version_hostname()
gets the standard host name of the default version of the app. For example,
if your application_id is my-app, then the result might be
my-app.appspot.com. You may check this on the
"google.appengine.api.app_identity.app_identity module" page
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python/refdocs/google.appengine.api.app_identity.app_identity#top_of_page>
.

In what concerns question 2), there does not seem to be a compelling need
to programmatically obtain the custom name instead, as the standard host
name and the custom one point to the same site, and can be used
interchangeably. Mapping between custom ID has been performed by project
owners, and the information should be readily available, even if not by
means of an API call from your code. In other words, you are supposed to
know your custom domain URL already.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/6881f2b1-9f47-41ff-b7c8-3ed54d0d90e1%40googlegroups.com.