Excellent. Thank you for the reply and making a ticket.

Since my original post, I did discover there is an overhead
to instantiating the datastore client and ended up taking a singleton
approach which considerably sped up the emulator and reduces the need for
testbed to an extent,
Also, in another thread someone pointed out a 3rd-party port of the ndb
library which seems promising - https://github.com/Bogdanp/anom-py

I did decide if I have to port things over to python 3.7, I might as well
try out Node on the Standard environment. So far so good but I'm sure I'll
continue to be python for a while still on existing projects.

To provide clarification to your last point, ndb
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python/ndb/> was a ORM
model wrapper to datastore interaction that was provided as part of the 1st
generation python runtime. It was not 3rd party in that you could import it
from the google package (from google.appengine.ext import ndb) but it is a
python specific client rather than core infrastructure.

Thanks again,
~ Blaine

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/2aa49e4e-04a5-4a28-83cb-cf7e3eded007%40googlegroups.com.