Hi,

Both environments of App Engine support automatic scaling. The steps on
setting up the scaling will depend on the environment you are using and the
language. The documentation here
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/flexible/python/flexible-for-standard-users#scaling_characteristics>
 defines
the scaling characteristics of both environments.

In regards to your specific inquiry of automatic scaling, our App Engine:
flexible scaling parameters are defined in the app.yaml. You may refer to
the following documentation here
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/flexible/python/reference/app-yaml#automatic_scaling>

for the available settings you can use with Python for flexible.
(i.e: min_num_instances, max_num_instances, cpu_utilization, etc)

As for App Engine: standard, when you upload a version of a service, the
app.yaml file specifies the *scaling type* and *instance class
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/about-the-standard-environment#instance_classes>*

that apply to every instance of that version. The *scaling type *controls
how instances are created while the *instance class *determines the
computing resources. You may find further details of how instance scaling
works for standard here
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python/how-instances-are-managed#instance_scaling>
.

Also, I believe understanding how your applications are structured on App
Engine will provide some insight into the scaling you wish to achieve. The
following diagrams for flex here
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/flexible/python/an-overview-of-app-engine>

and standard here
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python3/an-overview-of-app-engine>

illustrate the hierarchy of an App Engine app running with multiple
services.

I hope this clarifies the automatic scaling behavior for both App Engine
environments.