I have a node js server running in App Engine using a custom domain.
Everything works fine.

When I deploy a new version there is a huge latency spike as the old
instances are stopped and new ones started.

>From reading the docs, it would appear that I need to:
1. Enable warmup requests by adding to app.yaml

inbound_services:

-  warmup

2. Create a handler for /_ah/warmup
3. Deploy new version without promoting: gcloud deploy --no-promote app.yaml
4. From the App Engine versions page, use Migrate to move traffic from old
to new

I'm new to App Engine, and the docs are vague so I'm have questions and a
major problem:

1. What is the point of the /_ah/warmup handler? Since I initialize
everything I need to when the node app starts, there is nothing for this
handler to do.
2. Is the handler optional? I assume yes since I read somewhere that a 404
response would be OK.
3. If it's not optional, what response is expected?

4. This is the biggie!:

I've tried this (omitting the handler). The Migrate button becomes
available and appears to migrate traffic to the new version HOWEVER, after
a while my site starts failing. The problem is different after each Migrate
-  one time was corrupt/invalid HTML, another a JavaScript syntax error,
another the entire site was wrapped inside a PRE tag in HTML I didn't
write! The only way I've found to "fix" the corruption is to remove
inbound_services: -warmup from app.yaml & re-deploy

To make it even weirder, the corruption only happens if the site is
accessed from the custom domain. If I hit the appspot.com address
everything is OK

My head hurts. Any help/insight gratefully received