According to the Go “Release History” document, the Go language release
policy determines that “each major Go release is supported until there are
two newer major releases. For example, Go 1.5 was supported until the Go
1.7 release, and Go 1.6 was supported until the Go 1.8 release” [1]
<https://golang.org/doc/devel/release.html#policy>.

Currently, App Engine First Generation runtime supports Go version 1.11 [2]
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/go111/>. According to the
document “Google Cloud Platform Services Subject to the Deprecation Policy”
[3] <https://cloud.google.com/terms/deprecation>, App Engine support for a
programming language version that is no longer publicly supported or
receiving security updates from the organization maintaining that
programming language is excluded from the App Engine deprecation policy [4]
<https://cloud.google.com/terms/#deprecation-policy>.

The Go 1.9 [5] <https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/go/>
deprecation was announced here [6]
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/deprecations/>. That said, the
message you received is not asking you to upgrade App Engine to the Second
Generation but rather upgrade the Go runtime environment in the First
Generation runtime from version 1.9 to 1.11 before October 1, 2019.