I figured it out finally, and it is an ugly bug...

About 6 months ago, I set a location policy of US only.  The policy
included US locations that existed at that time, but I think the policy did
not update with new US locations as they became available.

My GAE app was being deployed to "us-central1-f" (I did not specifically
pick this location; I had previously picked us-central).  This location was
not in my location policy because I presume it did not exist then.  I
removed my location policy, and I can now deploy my app.

I never got a meaningful error message in deploying my own app.  For a
sanity check, I tried deploying Google's "hello world" GAE flex app, and
that app gave an error message that included this:

> Location ZONE:us-central1-f violates constraint
constraints/gcp.resourceLocations

So I was able to figure it out.

Could a Google Engineer please make an official bug report of this?