I've been working on an app using the Java 8 Standard runtime, but have
recently looked at migrating to the new Java 11 runtime. I peeked at the
differences between the two (
https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java11/java-differences)
to get an understanding of what such a migration would entail, but I'm
confused by some of the suggested migration paths, in particular regarding
Memcache.

The recommended path on that page is to create a Memorystore instance and
connect App Engine to it. Is this solution meant to replace the concept of
the Memcache Service entirely, or is it meant as more of a workaround until
the Memcache Service is ported or otherwise made available in the 2nd
generation runtimes? I haven't been able to discern a clear answer about
this. Some of the documentation/answers I've seen suggest that the Memcache
Service will be ported, for example:

"The Memcache service is currently not available for the App Engine
flexible environment. An alpha version of the memcache service will be
available shortly.(from
https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/flexible/java/migrating - I know
it's talking about flex, but it does suggest that work is being done to
port the Memcache Service in some capacity)

But, the Java 11 doc linked above makes no mention of this. Additionally,
this page (https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/runtimes)
suggests that the 1st gen runtimes aren't planning on being deprecated any
time soon, but it doesn't make a ton of sense to me to continuing
developing a new app against the 1st gen runtimes if they are about to
enter what is essentially maintenance mode. But, the Memorystore migration
path seems to defeat the point of App Engine's free tier - I'd be going
from the free cache to having to pay ~$36/month, regardless of the app's
usage (I obtained that figure from the pricing calculator using
Memorystore's smallest cache size of 1 GB).

Could I get some guidance, one way or the other?