There are 2 methods for explicitly defining a target service [1]: declaring
in the task itself or routing all tasks in a queue. Setting
AppEngineRouting in AppEngineHttpRequest is indeed the preferred method for
routing specific tasks to other services.

A few points are worth noting which may affect why the routing is not
behaving as you intend:

1- As noted here [2], the appengine.applications.get IAM permission is
required to use AppEngineRouting.

2- As noted here [3], ā€œappEngineRoutingOverrideā€ has priority in that if
this is set on a queue pointing to a specific service, all tasks in a queue
will have their target set to that service even if the AppEngineRouting is
set at the individual level.

3- Configuring routing can be done against App Engine queues only [4]

If you wish to set up routing at the queue level, please try using the
gcloud command to see if this is successful:

gcloud tasks queues update [QUEUE_ID] \     --routing-override
=service:[SERVICE],version:[VERSION]

[1] https://cloud.google.com/tasks/docs/configuring-queues#routing
[2] https://cloud.google.com/tasks/docs/reference/rest/v2/AppEngineRouting[3]
https://cloud.google.com/tasks/docs/reference/rest/v2/projects.locations.queues.tasks#AppEngineHttpRequest.FIELDS.app_engine_routing