Hi Rob,

My assumption is that your task is CPU intensive while you are using the
default setting in your yaml file which is 1 core
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/flexible/python/reference/app-yaml#cpu>

and doesn't seem to be enough for your task to be run successfully. Note
that, the default target_utilization is 0.5
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/flexible/python/reference/app-yaml#automatic_scaling>.

That means, when the average CPU usage across all running instances reaches
to 50%, the autoscaler would fire up more instances.

So, when your task kicks in, the autoscaler gets notified that the CPU is
not enough to run the task and it aggressively fire up more instances.
However, as you mentioned, the task doesn't finish up successfully and it
gets stuck since it needs at least one powerful CPU to be accomplished. I
recommend to tweak your setting and consider using more cores in your yaml
file
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/flexible/python/reference/app-yaml#resource-settings>

to see if it resolves the issue. If the issue still persists, you may
create a PRIVATE report in the GCP Issue Tracker
<https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/new?component=491299&template=1161102>
and provide us with your project ID, the service ID, and the version ID so
that we would be able to dig into the issue.