You basically need to have a separate server be able to handle the root
(naked) domain and serve up a SSL certificate. A lot of services, such as
Google App Engine do not do this for you, so you need something else
capable of doing it.

You could also use https://redirectssl.com it has free redirects up to a
certain amount.

*Disclaimer: I am the developer behind the service, I understand self
promotion is wrong and that is not my intention, this thread has been
referenced a lot by people and I want to offer a modern alternative.*