Hello Todd,

You are correct for the support of App Engine Standard with JAR and if you
prefer WAR it's understandable. There is a possible workaround here[1] but
that's for old Java 7 and I think now 8. There is an old discussion about
that here[2]. Deploying it in Flex is the better option. However, there is
an explanation here[3], under "What are the changes between the Java 8 and
Java 11 standard runtimes?", as to why it's not compatible. It's due to the
API. To be future-proof, it might be best to stay with the Flex engine. I
understand Standard engine is cheaper, but the API is older.

[1]
https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java/configuration-files#an_example
[2] https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/cloud-code-intellij/issues/1912
[3] https://ludoch.github.io/java11.html