Hello Karl,

Thank you for your message. The App Engine Engineering team will take a
note of it.

If you consider the issue that you have encountered is technical in nature,
I would recommend you to create an App Engine Public Issue under the
“Compute” section by going here
<https://cloud.google.com/support/docs/issue-trackers#trackers-list> as the
issue may be required to refer to the App Engine Engineering team.

Please select the private component as probably you will have to share
project specific information, so that it is not visible to the public. One
of the Google Cloud Platform Support Agents will assist you to resolve your
issue.

Please note that Google Groups
<https://cloud.google.com/support/docs/community#discussions_google_groups>
is only meant for general discussion related to Google Cloud Platform
products which are not technical in nature, service status updates and
release notes, and ranging from book recommendations to creative shortcuts.

On Wednesday, August 19, 2020 at 8:05:01 AM UTC-4 karl...@gmail.com wrote:

> Thanks Mary for following up.
>
> I am aware of the differences from 2.7 to 3.7. It's not that I migrated
> the application to 3.7. Previously the application (written in 3.7) didn't
> require explicit declaration of module "six" in requirements.txt and
> suddenly it is required. I have no explanation for such a change other than
> a modification under the hood by updating one of the used libraries, or
> dependency of libraries, without version modification.
>
> The possibility that a library has been updated without version change is
> the issue which is worrying me. I had similar issues in the past while
> running python 2.7 applications but there we used the non-recommended
> statement to use the latest library. We changed and indicate now the
> version of a library we want to use and which has been tested.
>
> Thanks
> Karl-Heinz
>

> On Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 8:11:29 PM UTC-4 Mary (Google Cloud
> Support) wrote:
>
>> Hello Karl,
>>
>> In the GAE Python 2.7 runtime, six was part of the 3rd party libraries
>> which was bundled as part of the runtime[1]. With Python 3.7, some of these
>> libraries were not included in the runtime in order to provide a more
>> idiomatic python environment and need to be migrated[2] by specifying these
>> previously bundled libraries into the requirements.txt
>>

>> [1]
>> https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python/tools/built-in-libraries-27
>> [2]
>> https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python/migrate-to-python3/migrating-services#importing-the-client-library
>>
>> On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 12:29:48 PM UTC-4, Karl-Heinz Müller wrote:
>>>
>>> Adding six==1.9.0 resolves the issue.
>>>
>>> The content of the modified requirements.txt:
>>> Flask==1.0.2
>>> six==1.9.0