Hello,

Unfortunately, URL Fetch is not supported by new runtimes such as Java 11
runtime
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java11/java-differences>.
To authenticate requests between your applications you will need to
implement other methods.

One way to implement authentication between service would be to use IAP
(Identity Aware Proxy) <https://cloud.google.com/iap/docs/concepts-overview>.
Drawback of this approach is that you need to enable it for all App Engine
modules in the project, so I would recommend splitting public and private
services to use it. Then you could authenticate as default app engine
service account from another app engine service using this code snippet
<https://cloud.google.com/iap/docs/authentication-howto#iap_make_request-java>
.

Instead of enabling IAP you could validate the same Id tokens on the
application using GoogleIdTokenVerifier
<https://googleapis.dev/java/google-api-client/latest/com/google/api/client/googleapis/auth/oauth2/GoogleIdTokenVerifier.html>
.