I think I have seen some documentation way back that it was not possible to
serve user facing requests from a B instance, instead you
were supposed to dispatch the request to a TaskQueue and use some sort of
client polling in order to get notified when the work on B
instance was completed.

Cannot find it anymore, the documentation has changed so much you don't
really know what's the truth anymore.

/ Linus

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 3:13 PM Joshua Smith <mrjoshuaesm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> Yes, I'm using the B8 with basic scaling for my API calls, which should
> not have that limit.
>
> Yes, I'm using URL routing via dispatch.yaml, and have confirmed the B8
> instance is handling the request by checking the logs.
>
> *The request is nonetheless failing because it's taking more than one
> minute. *
>
> That should not be happening, according to the documentation. Unless
> there's *another* 1 minute limit somewhere else that I'm not aware of.
>
> -Joshua
>
> On Dec 13, 2020, at 8:58 PM, 'Manpreet Sidhu (Google Cloud Support)' via
> Google App Engine <google-appengine@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Even though your frontend uses automatic scaling, the work is being done
> on the B8 instance that is responsible for running your API service.
>
> Based on the screenshot that you attached, the B8 instance has to return
> in 24 hours. This is due to the fact that the B8 instance is only capable
> of Manual and Basic scaling[0].
>
> Can it be safe to assume that you are using a Legacy Runtime as that is
> where the limit of 1 minute is enforced. As an alternative, you can try
> routing with URLs[1] or look into implementing the use of Task Queues as
> that has a timeout of 10 minutes.
>
> [0]: https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard#instance_classes
> [1]:
> https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python/how-requests-are-routed#urls
> On Saturday, December 12, 2020 at 10:11:28 AM UTC-5 Joshua Smith wrote:
>

>> https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python/how-instances-are-managed#timeout
>>
>> My frontend service uses automatic scaling, so it has a 1 minute limit to
>> respond. But my API service is a B8 with this:
>>

>> which means that it should not be subjected to that limit. Yet when I
>> send requests to it via the dispatch, it seems to be enforcing at 1 minute
>> limit regardless.
>>

>> On Dec 11, 2020, at 4:44 PM, 'Elliott (Cloud Platform Support)' via
>> Google App Engine <google-a...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Joshua,
>>
>> I understand that your program uses APIs that need more than 60 seconds
>> to complete but even though you are using B8 instances in App Engine, your
>> program times out past the 60 seconds. I’m assuming you are using App
>> Engine Standard.
>>
>> To find supporting documentation for you, can you tell me more about the
>> "gotta get it done in 60 seconds" rule? Can you please give examples of
>> this?
>>

>> On Friday, December 11, 2020 at 12:01:48 PM UTC-5 Joshua Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I have an app with a frontend UX that queries some backend APIs for
>>> information. Some of these APIs need more than 60 seconds to complete their
>>> work.
>>>
>>> I *thought* I could solve this by doing the following:
>>>
>>> 1. Run the code on a B8 instance with a different service name
>>> 2. Set up dispatch.yaml to direct the incoming API requests to that
>>> service:
>>>
>>> dispatch:
>>>
>>> - url: "*/api/*"
>>>   service: reporting
>>>
>>> - url: "*/*"
>>>   service: default
>>>
>>> The dispatching is working correctly. I see this in my logs for an /api
>>> hit:
>>>
>>> However, it's timing out:
>>>

>>> My understanding was that a B8 instance didn't have the "gotta get it
>>> done in 60 seconds" rule that frontend instance types did.
>>>
>>> What am I missing?
>>>
>>> -Joshua
>>>

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/7209920b-7b59-4dd4-84a6-e722e7df462bn%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/7209920b-7b59-4dd4-84a6-e722e7df462bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/6d4408fa-0030-42c4-990b-14223e773c27n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/6d4408fa-0030-42c4-990b-14223e773c27n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/FDF4A515-5CAE-4D63-815F-E10194B50E9A%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/FDF4A515-5CAE-4D63-815F-E10194B50E9A%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/CAKKTta0vP9RtL_Q5MN5NHj%2BzN-A4TG3Ym0TE2VymstqeuB4a6g%40mail.gmail.com.
  • [google-appe... Joshua Smith
    • [google... 'Elliott (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
      • Re:... 'Manpreet Sidhu (Google Cloud Support)' via Google App Engine
        • ... Joshua Smith
          • ... Linus Larsen
            • ... Joshua Smith