I think you got the correct idea. However I am not sure if the guide here
about signed headers is useful. In terms of access control, the role
"IAP-secured web app" user should be sufficient. I assume that your concern
here is not about authorization
<https://cloud.google.com/iap/docs/concepts-overview#authorization> (access
control/IAM) with IAP  but about authenticating
<https://cloud.google.com/iap/docs/concepts-overview#authentication> the
service account with IAP.  For a user with a Google account this usually
happens through the browser. However, using the service account from App
Engine requires different methods. The easiest might be "Obtaining an OIDC
token for the default service account" as explained in this article
<https://cloud.google.com/iap/docs/authentication-howto#authenticating_from_a_service_account>.

I hope this helps.